Languages: Mandarin English
Zhang Ying is one of the earliest Chinese lawyers that have been engaged in the intellectual property law since 1990’s. Ying’s practice area nearly covers all aspects of intellectual property rights, including trademark, copyright, unfair competition and trade secret, patent and technology licensing and anti-trust, patent infringement dispute, intellectual property issues in business transactions, etc. Ying has gained abundant experience in intellectual property portfolio management and licensing, complicated trademark and trade name disputes, brand development and protection strategy, settlement discussion, IP litigation and other related contentious matters. She has represented her clients in dozens of administrative and civil actions before the Chinese courts and other administrative bodies. From 2014 to 2015, Ying studied law in the United States, focusing on US Copyright Law, Patent Law, Trademark Law, Trade Secret Law, Technology and Patent License, etc.
The clients that Ms. Zhang has worked for in the past 15 years: Agilent, Adidas, Baxter, Bayer Healthcare, BMW, BP Petroleum, Blizzard, B&Q PLC, Cadbury Schweppes, Caterpillar, Carrefour, Citibank, Consolidated Artists B.V., Electricite De France (“EDF”), First Solar, Gap, General Electric, Huntsman, IBM, Intel, Japan Tobacco, KASIKORNBANK Public Company Limited, Kellogg, LyondellBasell, Mars Inc., 3M, Marabu, nVidia, New Channel Culture & Education Company, Nippon Paper, Orica, Rotork, Roche Pharmaceuticals, SanDisk, S.C. Johnson, Smith & Nephew, Standard Life, Satchi Singapore, TMT Trading, Topfer, TPK Holdings, Unilever, Unipharm, Vineyard Wines LLC, etc.
- Advising a US on-line game company in a copyright infringement litigation in Beijing Higher Court as co-defendant;
- Advising a multi-national hotel management group company in an underlying copyright infringement dispute; Representing a famous domestic language education company in a trademark, copyright and unfair competition litigation and the related contractual dispute in Beijing;
- Advising and representing a leading US test and measurement company in investigation and criminal procedure of a trade secret case;
- Advising, coordinating and representing a Taiwan company in patent infringement investigation and preparing for initiating a civil action in China;
- Advising a US pharmaceutical manufacturer in the strategy of trademark registration and use prior to launch of the new products in China;
- Advising a foreign bank in registering and changing its trademarks, names and logos in China;
- Representing an international chemical company in anti-counterfeiting investigation and administrative actions, negotiation and document finalization for technology license agreements;
- Representing an international company in unfair competition and trade secret investigation, civil and criminal actions in China;
- Representing a US apparel and fashion company in customs IP protection and investigations in China;
- Representing a Chinese franchising language education institution in a trade name and unfair-competition litigation and a contract dispute as plaintiff in the courts in Beijing;
- Representing a Spanish apparel company in judicial review procedure in a non-use cancellation case;
- Representing a US energy company in trademark rejection, opposition and appeal proceedings;
- Representing a Chinese large-scale drug manufacturer and distributor in judicial review procedure in a cancellation action against a state-owned drug manufacturer based on bad-faith;
- Advising and representing a German nutritious food manufacturer in solving trademark disputes.
- Advising a US religion organization for copyright license agreement in China;
- Representing a domestic film and TV production company as defendant in a copyright infringement action in Beijing;
- Deputy director of the Trademark Law Committee of the Beijing Lawyers’ Association
- Ying had been a legal clerk in an intermediate court and basic level court in Beijing for 2 years before she joined a major UK IP consulting company Beijing office in 1997 as a legal counsel. From 2001 to 2007, Ms. Zhang was a senior associate of a boutique IP law firm ZY & Partners, where Ms. Zhang gained substantial experiences in IP portfolio management and complicated IP-related litigations for multi-national companies. In March 2007, Ms. Zhang joined the “Magic Circle” firm, Clifford Chance, as the senior associate of Litigation and Dispute Resolution (LDR) Group, where she was involved in dozens of business transactions in respect of IP assets as well as general litigation and arbitration issues, in addition to various IP prosecution and enforcement cases for international companies. In March 2011, Ms. Zhang joined JT&N as partner of the IP Group.
- Law School, New York University, Master of Laws
- School of Law, University of Business & Economics, Master of Laws
- College of Literature and Law, branch school of People
- “Legal Regulation on Patent Licensing Royalties in China” (Co-author)